2024-2023 SEO Stats
SEO statistics and trends for 2024, along with insights on how they might impact SEO strategies:
- 53% of organic web traffic results from natural searches: Emphasizes the continued importance of organic search traffic for websites.
- 33% of e-commerce visits are generated through organic searches, highlighting the significance of organic search in the e-commerce sector.
- 94% of searches focus more on organic results than paid ones, which shows users’ preference for organic search results over paid advertisements.
- 93% of online shoppers read Google reviews before making purchases: Underlines the impact of online reviews on consumer purchasing decisions.
- Up to 81% of product research is done online, indicating the increasing reliance on online resources for product information.
- The first five organic results enjoy 67.6% of clicks on the 1st page of search engine results like Google and Bing, demonstrating the importance of ranking within the top organic search results.
- Google’s Search Generative Experience (SGE) will be fully rolled out in 2024. This AI-powered functionality will likely shift how users interact with search engines, emphasizing the importance of long-tail keywords and high-quality content.
- E-E-A-T (Experience, Expertise, Authority, and Trust) will gain more importance: Websites must demonstrate their credibility and knowledge on topics to rank higher on search engines.
- Increased emphasis on Google’s Core Web Vitals: Metrics like loading performance, accessibility, and visual stability will be more crucial for SEO.
- Voice search optimization is becoming increasingly important: As voice assistant usage grows, optimizing websites for voice search through conversational language and long-tail keywords will be essential.
These statistics and trends indicate that in 2024, your SEO strategy will need to focus more on creating high-quality, user-centric content, optimizing for new technologies like voice search and AI, and ensuring excellent user experience through website performance and credibility.
SEO Stats for 2023
- Organic search drives 53.3% of all website traffic.
- 25.32% of page 1 rankings have empty meta descriptions.
- Google Search, Images, and Maps account for 92.96% of global traffic.
- SEO generates 1,000%+ more traffic than organic social media.
- Inbound (SEO, blog content, etc.) is the highest quality source of leads for 60% of marketers.
- SEO leads have a 14.7% close rate.
- 90.7% of all web pages get zero traffic from Google.
- 5.9% of the top 10 pages will have rankings in 1 year
- 7.3% of top-ranking pages are title tag less.
- 33.6% of the time Google rewrites title tags
- Google uses the H1 tag 50.76% instead of the title tag
- 54.28% of the time, Google Ads Keyword Planner overestimates search volumes
- Only 0.66% of Google searchers click on results from the second page.
- Google is 59% more likely to rewrite title tags that are too long.
- 66.33% of pages have no backlinks.
- 73.6% of domains have reciprocal links, and 43.9% of top-ranking pages have some reciprocal links.
- 94.78% of keywords get ten monthly searches or fewer, and only 0.0009% earn more than 99,999 monthly searches.
Here are some more unique 2023 SEO statistics on related to online user experience, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), ranking on Google, backlinks, keywords, search engines, local SEO, video SEO, mobile SEO, and voice search:
Key SEO Statistics 2023-2022
- Longer articles receive approximately 77% more backlinks than shorter articles.
- The top page listed in a Google search has an average click-through rate of 32%.
- 46% of all Google searches are for a local service or business.
- On average, 40% of business revenue is generated by organic search.
- Using SEO-optimized title tags can increase clickthrough rates by more than 437%.
- The top 5 results on the first page of any SERP receive approximately 67% of all clicks.
- 48% of users say they prefer voice search over text for making general web searches.
- Google accounts for 92.42% of all global web searches from desktops.
82% of local searches resulted in a purchase within 24 hours. 73% of those who responded said they would continue to support those businesses in the future. An effective local SEO strategy is essential for small businesses to remain visible. Google reported that 25% of shoppers use search engines to find local companies. 78% of customers will likely stay within the first page of search engine results.
Over 74% of consumers have reported increased spending on local businesses since the beginning of 2022, while 74% said they would continue to support those businesses in the future. BrightLocal discovered that more than 75% of local searches resulted in a purchase within 24 hours, demonstrating the ability of local SEO to drive customers. Google reported that four out of five consumers use search engines to find local information, highlighting the need for an optimized local presence in search engine results. 75% of customers are unlikely to look beyond the first page of search engine results, emphasizing the importance of having an effective local SEO strategy. These statistics emphasize local SEO’s critical role for businesses in 2023, enabling them to drive more customers and stay ahead of the competition.
Local SEO continues to be an essential part of modern digital marketing. Nearly 69% of customers believe that the quality of a local business’s website determines their trust in the industry. This highlights the importance of crafting an on-page SEO campaign tailored to local audiences to maximize visibility. Google My Business optimization is essential for boosting rankings in local search results, as the platform still holds significant weight. The results of a survey conducted by Whitespark show that nearly 81% of sites appear in the three pack of organic local search results, meaning businesses need to pay extra attention to this particular platform. 79% of local consumers use their smartphones to find information about a local business, while 77.5% are visible on maps and store locator. These findings demonstrate the necessity of optimizing for mobile devices and having content with location relevance.
SEO Facts 2022-2023
Longer length content continues to outperform short-form content in terms of shares, with experts stating that long-form content is over 77% more likely to receive a backlink, and results in 56% more social shares, than their short-form counterparts. Expert SEO consultants suggest that written content should range between 1,000 – 2,000 words to see the best performance, however a study conducted by Moz suggests that content exceeding 3,000 words generates 4x the amount of social media shares.
Furthermore, long form content is better suited to become evergreen content, or content that users will continue to visit long after the page initially goes up. This means consistent traffic to your site over the long term, rather than focusing on short form content and hoping to get something to go viral on social media.
More SEO Stats 2023-2022
Everybody knows that position one in the search results is the best, but what many don’t realize is just how important ranking your site on the first page really is. Most users don’t ever bother venturing to the second page of search results, and even the 10th result on the first SERP page is, on average, only garnering an abysmal 2.5% of all clicks. Even if your site ranks 5th on the first page of results, chances are that you’re only receiving an average of about 7% of all clicks.
Google SEO Stats
Back in 2014, Google introduced their first iteration of their Pigeon update. This update made it easier for local businesses to rank highly in search results with local search intent, prioritizing businesses that are in close proximity to the searcher’s current location. This update helped capture search result page market share from larger corporations that had previously outbid their smaller competitors.
Local SEO Stats
With 46% of all Google searches having local intent, it’s crucial for your business to utilize Google’s business tools to your full advantage. When potential customers search for your business or the service you offer, appearing in the Local Pack at the top of the page can result in a massive boost in traffic and revenue for your business. Analytics show that 28% of all searches for something nearby result in a purchase.
Recently conducted studies have shown that on average, a staggering 40% of all business revenue is generated via organic search results. For this reason, many marketers strongly prefer optimizing for search engines over pay per click advertising, as the cost to acquire customers is far lower than pay per click advertising.
SEO Marketing Stats 2023-2022
SEO marketing experts recommend optimizing your website’s content and metadata to target keywords with medium to high search volume in order to boost your website’s Google ranking in organic search results.
A study conducted by Safari Digital in 2022 showed that updating previously written title tags with a keyword optimized title resulted in up to a 400% increase in click through rate to their website’s content. The test, conducted across 16 websites and over 135 individual webpages, focused on inserting relevant keywords with higher search volumes, and resulted in an average increase in clickthrough rate of 107%.
Not all search results on the first page are created equal; the first five results on any given results page receive just shy of 67% of all clicks, with lower ranked positions (6 and below) only raking in an underwhelming 3.37%. The first result in a search results page is also more likely to generate backlinks, with an average of 3.8 times more backlinks than the remaining results on the page.
Ranking higher in search results also helps boost credibility and authority in your domain. Consumers are much more likely to trust a business that ranks at the top of a Google search for a given query, as it demonstrates that the business has likely invested time and energy into creating the content of their website.
According to a study conducted by Adobe, 48% of users say they prefer using voice assistants, like Siri, to perform general web searches. Despite privacy concerns over always listening devices like Amazon’s Alexa, voice search has continued to rise in popularity over the last several years. Surprisingly enough, voice searches load faster, too – the average voice search clocks in at 4.6 seconds, which is approximately 50% faster than the average webpage’s load time.
According to the study, 44% of respondents said they use some form of voice search on a daily basis, most frequently using a smartphone. On average, the reading level of a voice search result is ninth grade, with an average length of only 29 words. Further, the typical voice search result is far more likely to be shared on social media channels, receiving nearly 1,200 Facebook shares and 44 tweets on average.
When it comes to search market sector domination, there’s no question that Google takes the cake. Google accounts for a whopping 92.42% of all search traffic, with Bing in second place with a measly 2.61% and Yahoo with 1.9%. This means that Google’s search algorithm should be your main priority when it comes to optimizing your website’s content and metadata.
For context, just one year ago in February of 2021, Google’s search market share was right around 86.6% – this means Google has increased their search market share nearly 6% over the last year alone.
Although she is an expert content writer, Haven is much more than just someone who loves copywriting for clients. She has a passion for all things literary. As our top blog website copy editor for all client content, Haven’s personal mission is to make sure that you, search engines, and your customers love your expert written content and trust that it’s perfect every single month.