Online Review Statistics 2023
- Online reviews are powerful, with 92% of customers reading them before making a purchase decision.
- 83% of customers will read reviews before engaging with a business
- 49% of people say online reviews affect their purchasing decisions, which is expected to rise to 80%
- 96% of customers will consult online reviews before buying a product or interacting with a business
- 78% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations, which is expected to increase to 82%
- 86% of consumers will read more than 10 reviews before making a purchase decision
- Businesses hoping to grow in 2023 have more customers leaving reviews (on average, 9%).
- Google Reviews are the most-cited source of online reviews, with 97% of consumers likely to check out a Google review before making a purchase decision.
- 85% of customers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations.
- Verified reviews hold the most weight when making a purchase decision, with 87% of shoppers saying these carry the most weight.
- Consumers are more likely to leave positive reviews if they are satisfied with their experience.
- 86% of customers read online reviews before making a purchase.
- The online review rate will increase in 2023, causing businesses to rethink customer service strategies.
- Nearly 95% of consumers admit online customer reviews impact purchasing decisions.
- 68% of consumers consider online reviews “very important” when choosing a product.
- By 2023, the online reviews industry is expected to reach over $80 billion in revenue.
Customer online reviews have become an essential component of the buying process for customers. According to recent studies, a whopping 91% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations, making them a critical factor in the success of any business. As we move into 2023, it’s more important than ever to keep a finger on the pulse of the latest online reviews stats and trends. In this article, we’ll delve into the most recent data on online reviews, covering topics such as the impact of voice search on review content, the growing role of artificial intelligence in review analysis, and much more. Whether you’re a business owner, marketer, or simply an avid online shopper, you won’t want to miss these insights that could make or break your success in the years to come.
Key Online Customer Review Stats
One survey revealed that businesses expecting to grow in 2023 have a higher percentage of customers leaving reviews (on average, 9%) compared to those that aren’t expecting to grow (on average, 5%). This statistic indicates that businesses should encourage their customers to leave reviews to stay ahead of their competition and continue to grow. Link:
The most-cited source for online reviews is Google Reviews, followed by Facebook and Yelp. 97% of consumers are likely to check out a Google review before making their purchase decision. This statistic shows the sheer power of a good Google review in influencing customers.
Another BrightLocal study revealed that 85% of customers trust online customer reviews as much as a personal recommendation. This statistic shows the importance of online reviews for businesses looking to build trust with potential customers.
Mckinsey.com found that reviews left by verified purchasers are the most influential when making a purchase decision, with 87% of shoppers saying that these hold the most weight. This statistic shows the value of having verified reviews on products and services, which helps customers to make better purchase decisions. Link:
ExplodingTopics, a customer stats and data software company, found the rate of customer reviews will increase in 2021. This is causing businesses to rethink their strategies for customer support to meet their customers’ changing demands. This is because 86% of customers read reviews before making a purchase. The article further states that customers are likelier to leave positive reviews if a business provides excellent customer service and resolves its issues quickly.
Online reviews can dramatically impact purchasing decisions. Nearly 95% of consumers admitted that online reviews influenced their buying decision. Specifically, 68% said they considered online reviews “very important” when deciding which product to buy and trusting the company they buy from. This shows the importance of ensuring your products and services are up to the highest standards and investing in customer service. (source)
By 2024, the online reviews industry is expected to reach over $80 billion in revenue. Highlighting the ever-increasing importance of customer reviews and ratings to businesses, as customers increasingly rely on these to make informed purchase decisions.
FinancesOnline found that by 2023, 83% of customers will read reviews before engaging with a business . This proves how essential customer testimonials are for businesses, as they can heavily influence potential customers’ decisions.
More facts about online reviews
49% of people say online reviews affect their purchasing decisions. By 2024, this number is expected to rise to 80%. This statistic shows how critical customer reviews are to businesses, as more people rely on them when making decisions about products and services.
96% of customers will consult online reviews before buying a product or interacting with a business. This statistic further demonstrates the potent power of customer reviews and ratings, as they are often the deciding factor when it comes to customers making a purchase.
78% of shoppers trust an online review as much as a personal recommendation for family members. This number is expected to increase to 82% by 2023. This statistic proves how influential customer reviews are, as customers increasingly rely on them as if a friend was recommending them.
This article states that by 2023, 86% of consumers will read more than 10 reviews before making a purchase decision (). This statistic demonstrates the importance for businesses to have many positive customer reviews, as customers are researching more than ever.
The data from these sources shows that online reviews significantly influence purchase decisions. Consumers are more likely to leave positive reviews if they are satisfied with their experience, and companies should invest in providing quality customer service. Furthermore, 86% of customers read online reviews before making a purchase, meaning businesses should ensure they have plenty of positive reviews available.
33 Customer Review Stats
- Before making a purchase, 95% of buyers study online reviews (PowerReviews Source).
- Local businesses’ quality assessment for 93% of consumers depends on the reading of reviews (BrightLocal Source).
- Until they have gone through reviews, 72% of customers will refrain from any purchasing activities (Testimonial Engine Source).
- A product’s purchase probability boosts by 270% once it receives five reviews (PowerReviews Source).
- For expensive items, when reviews are presented, the conversion rate jumps by 380% (PowerReviews Source).
- Businesses boasting over nine recent reviews garner 52% additional revenue compared to the average (PowerReviews Source).
- Companies that assert their complimentary listings on a minimum of four review sites earn a revenue enhancement of 46% on average (PowerReviews Source).
- Reading verified reviews instead of anonymous ones causes a 15% rise in the probability of purchase for buyers (PowerReviews Source).
- Between two similarly rated products, consumers are inclined towards the one possessing more reviews (PowerReviews Source).
- Google reigns as the favorite online review platform, with 59% of consumers using it to peruse reviews (BrightLocal Source).
- 54.7% of consumers make it a point to read no less than four reviews before purchasing a product (Bizrate Insights Source).
- Reviews for local businesses have been left by nearly 75% of consumers in the previous year (BrightLocal Source).
- More than half of the customers anticipate businesses to respond to their negative reviews in less than a week (BrightLocal Source). 97% of shoppers not only read online reviews from fellow consumers but also check out the businesses’ replies (BrightLocal Source).
- For local businesses, 80% of consumers seek out online reviews (BrightLocal Source). Websites displaying customer reviews on product pages witness 3.5 times higher conversions than those that don’t (Search Engine Journal Source).
- Positive & Negative Reviews wield an influence on consumers (PowerReviews Source).
- Negative reviews are specifically sought by 96% of customers (PowerReviews Source). Customers agree that a product should ideally have more than 100 reviews (PowerReviews Source).
- 43% of consumers express a desire to see over 100 reviews for a product (PowerReviews Source).
- A product having more than 1,000 reviews is more likely to be purchased by 64% of consumers as opposed to one with only 100 reviews (PowerReviews Source).
- If a product carries over 10,000 reviews, 54% of consumers are more likely to buy it than if it has 1,000 reviews (PowerReviews Source).
- The percentage of customers who actually pen reviews are between 5% and 10% (Luisa Zhou Source).
- Only 2% of consumers claim to have never browsed an online review (BrightLocal Source).
- Online reviews are read “frequently” or “always” by 77% of consumers (BrightLocal Source).
Every minute, Yelp is inundated with 26,830 fresh reviews (Yelp Source).
- In 2021, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) called out more than 700 businesses for counterfeit endorsements (FTC Source). Google eradicated 55 million reviews in 2020 (Google Source).
- In 2022, Tripadvisor crossed the threshold of one billion reviews (Tripadvisor Source).
- Sustainability emerges as a dominant topic in Expedia’s online reviews (Expedia Source). On TripAdvisor, an average online hotel review is comprised of 688 characters (TripAdvisor Source).
- 74% of consumers affirm that reviews bolster their faith in a company (Learn G2 Source).
What can’t Glen Haskins do? Studying under the tutelage of Eric Ward, Bruce Clay, and other pioneers of SEO and online digital marketing, Gleen is the person steering the overall focus of the ship for the Agency. Glen creates proposals that deliver value and keeps the younger team members on task. From final say in hiring and brand direction to time management.