Search Advertising Statistics for 2023
- 2023 search ad revenue growth is slower than other formats, losing 1.2% full revenue share
- Paid search led with 40.2% of all digital ad revenue in 2022-2023
- Display revenues are up 12%; digital video is up 19.3%; digital audio is up 20.9% YoY
- Search accounted for $84.4 billion of $209.7 billion total U.S. digital ad revenue
- 2023 search ad revenue had a 7.8% YoY growth
- 2022 social platform ad revenue: $59.7 billion, up from $57.7 billion in 2021
- U.S. search advertising revenue reached $84.4 billion in 2022
The year 2022-2023 has been a challenging one for the digital advertising industry due to the uncertain economy, geopolitical unrest, and regulations. The search ad revenue growth has been slower than other formats, losing 1.2% of full revenue share. However, paid search remained the leading format with 40.2% of all digital ad revenue in 2022-2023. Despite these challenges, digital ad revenue still managed to increase year-over-year for 2023-2022. Display revenues have gone up by 12%, digital video by 19.3%, and digital audio by 20.9% YoY. In 2022, search ads accounted for $84.4 billion of the total U.S. digital ad revenue of $209.7 billion, with a YoY growth of 7.8%. Despite the challenges faced, the digital advertising industry continues to grow steadily.
Online Search Ad Facts and Statistics
- 30% of global web traffic is generated via online search
- Amazon accounted for 19% of U.S. search advertising spending in 2021
- Amazon holds nearly 90% of U.S. retail media ad spend
- Amazon’s U.S. ad revenue (2021): over $24 billion; projected to reach $39 billion in 2023
- Google accounts for approximately 30% of U.S. digital ad revenue
- Google’s U.S. search market share: over 62%
- Monthly double-digit growth in paid search advertising spending on Google since 2021
- Rapid growth in mobile search advertising spending
- Search advertising spending in the U.S. (2021): $84.7 billion
- 2022-2023 faced challenges like an uncertain economy, geopolitical unrest, regulation, etc.
Key Search Ads Stats
- Geico and Comcast Corporation are top advertisers on Amazon in the U.S.
- High consumer satisfaction with online search engines and e-commerce platforms in the U.S.
- Despite challenges, digital ad revenue and ROI still increased YoY for 2023-2022
- Majority of Amazon’s digital ad revenue from search advertising for sponsored brands and product listings
- On-site search ads are the most popular ad format purchased via retail media networks.
- Over 50% of U.S. consumers find it acceptable for e-commerce platforms to place branded products in search results and ads if properly disclosed.
Search Ad Facts and Statistics
- Growth in mobile ad spending is projected from 2017 to 2026.
- Mobile search ad spending in the U.S. reached 78.51 billion USD in 2022.
- Search ad spending increased from 2019 to 2022.
- Search ads represented 40% of U.S. ad revenue in 2022.
- U.S. search ad spending in 2022 reached 58.02 billion USD.
General Search Ad Statistics
- 38% of U.S. consumers trust search engine advertising as of January 2021.
- Google blocked 5.2 billion ads annually as of 2021.
- Google’s global search market share is 84.69% as of January 2023.
- Google’s paid search advertising growth in the U.S. was 32% from January 2020 to September 2021.
- Google’s U.S. ad revenue amounted to 70.15 billion USD in 2022.
- Google’s worldwide ad revenue reached 224.47 billion USD in 2022.
- The (ACSI) American Customer Satisfaction Index score for U.S. customer satisfaction with search engines is 75 in 2022.
- Video ads are considered the most annoying digital ads by U.S. internet users.
Amazon Search Ads Stats
- Amazon held a 13.3% share of U.S. search ad spend in 2023.
- Amazon sites received 220.48 million unique monthly visitors as of February 2023.
- Amazon’s U.S. ad revenue totaled 31.81 billion USD in 2022.
- Amazon’s worldwide search marketing spending reached 42.2 billion USD in 2022.
- Geico was the leading Amazon advertiser by ad spend in 2020.
Final Search Advertising Points
- Q1 2022 ad revenues surpassed $100 billion for the first time
- Q1 had the highest growth (21.1%), followed by Q2 (11.8%)
- Social media growth in 2023 is the smallest in 10 years
- Total U.S. digital ad revenue increased by $20.4 billion in 2022
Although she is an expert content writer, Haven is much more than just someone who loves copywriting for clients. She has a passion for all things literary. As our top blog website copy editor for all client content, Haven’s personal mission is to make sure that you, search engines, and your customers love your expert written content and trust that it’s perfect every single month.